|The fortress island of Suomenlinna is just off the coast of Helsinki and is a short 20 minute ferry ride from the old market square. This fortress island, originally Sveaborg in Sweedish, was originally constructed by Sweden in 1748 to protect Sweden's eastern borders. It later passed to Russia in 1808 when they took over Finland and then later to Finland when Finland gained independence in 1917. Suomenlinna remained a military base through WWII and finally passed into civilian administration in the 1970s.
Michigan Ave Bri...